Featured Photo Courtesy of Pixabay
Happy Makeup and Beauty Monday, Eclectic Chic fam! So one of my top dislikes of all time is cold weather…and no, I’m not joking. If you think I am, just check my about page. With cold weather comes very, very dry skin and dry hair. Being a Michigan gal, I have mastered the art of implementing a beauty routine that has proven to combat my winter woes. The following post will feature my top 10 favorite beauty products for the wintertime.
- For the longest time, I was using the same body lotion during the fall and winter months as I do during spring and summertime. Since we get all four seasons here in the mitten, it is important to stay proactive with adjusting your skincare regime to address the changing weather. Before making these obvious changes to my routine, I thought I was doomed to endure dry and itchy skin during the long winter months. I recently discovered NIVEA Essentially Enriched Lotion for Dry to Very Dry Skin. It contains almond oil, and has become my go-to this season, keeping my skin glowing and moisturized.
- We have enjoyed and survived Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year celebrations. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, it is important to keep your lips hydrated and kissable. Once the weather shifted, I noticed that my lips were unbearably dry and chapped, no matter how many times a day I would apply balm or moisturizer. I knew this was my cue to find a product that would give my lips the extra TLC they deserved. While exploring the beauty aisles at my local store, I found this new gem, ChapStick Total Hydration 3 in 1 Coconut Lip Balm. My lips are now hydrated and are never chapped anymore.
- Rosewater has increasingly become a love of mine. While traveling as a product specialist with the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), I often work in convention centers that have drier than normal air. I find that a spritz here or there throughout the day will provide me with just the right pick-me-up that I need. A lot of brands have responded to this need for added refreshment and moisture by producing their own featured rosewater product. Do you use rosewater facial mist, too? Share what your favorite brand is in the comments below. I found the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater while I was shopping at Urban Outfitters last summer, and have been using it ever since. I keep a bottle in my car; one in the makeup pouch in my purse; and one at my vanity to spritz myself as I get ready for my day or wind down at night.
- It is so important to exfoliate to prevent your skin from presenting flakiness and dry skin. It is easy to do a simple DIY brown sugar face and lip scrub that will allow your skin to better absorb the nourishing products you are feeding it. Here is what you will need: your favorite facial cleanser and brown sugar. Simple enough, right? What you do is scoop out a full teaspoon of brown sugar and set it to the side on your bathroom counter. Then, place one pump of your facial cleanser into the palm of your hand. Take the teaspoon of brown sugar, and place into the palm of your hand with the your facial cleanser. Mix these two contents together with your fingertips, and place evenly over your face and neck area. Gently massage, rinse, and proceed with your beauty routine. If you have sensitive skin, I recommend you test a small area of your skin before applying all over.
- I have been using Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil since I signed with Wilhelmina. Whenever I know that I have a photoshoot or runway show coming up, I apply this generously all over during my showers the week leading up to the event. I am thankful to have always had good, even-toned skin. However, this skin therapy oil took my skin health to the next level. It gives me a nice glow and my skin looks great in my photos.
- Virgin coconut oil serves as a nice seal and protectant for my delicate facial skin during the winter. When my face feels more dry than normal, I cleanse my face, moisturize with a water-based moisturizer, then apply a thin layer of coconut oil. I find that I get better results when I do this at nighttime as opposed to in the morning. It smells good, and my skin loves it!
- Don’t worry. I didn’t forget about dry hands. I keep a jar of the Origins A Perfect World body cream on the bathroom counter and use it as a hand cream. This intensely hydrating body cream with white tea will leave your hands feeling like silk. Not to mention that the scent is phenomenal.
- If you can’t already tell from my featured products thus far, I believe that oils are a beauty product must-have for those who are prone to dry skin. I apply a variety of oils to coat and seal my hair, face and body during the cold winter months. Although there are many oils that promote and help to maintain good skin and hair health (definitely too many to list in this post), peppermint oil, vitamin E oil, and avocado oil are amongst my favorites.
- Without further ado, it is my absolute pleasure to present you with one of my favorite beauty products. Having lived in Hawai’i for almost 7 years, I was exposed to the foods, music, fashions and beauty products of many different cultures. A couple of years ago, one of my friends from Korea presented me with a starter pack of 3 face masks, and simply said, “you’re welcome”. I equate this moment to the first time I saw the hot light come on at Krispy Crème donuts, and got a free hot glazed donut, fresh off of the conveyer belt. Do you know why Krispy Crème can afford to give away free samples? It’s because they know that with it, they gain a new customer for life, and that you will buy those donuts by the dozens exponentially for as long as you both shall live…but I digress. From the moment my friend gave me those Korean face masks, I have been hooked. The essences provide your skin with an extra dose of hydration, while the sheet allows for better absorption and prevents the essences from evaporating from your face. How I use this is I place the sheet mask on my face after I have prepared my skin (cleanse, toner, serum and essence). I leave the sheet mask on my face for 15-20 minutes (you do not want the sheet to begin to dry out, because it will then begin to extract the essences from your delicate skin). As I am waiting, I take the excess essence from the package, and massage it on my legs and arms, which also tend to get dry if I don’t keep up with my routine. I tend to incorporate the sheet masks into my bedtime routine once a week, or once every other week. I could not help but to notice the difference almost instantly. One word of caution, however. When you put this mask on, you will look a bit like Jason from the horror movies. The benefits, however, are well worth spooking your family, your roommates, significant other, or anyone else who may be around you as you are doing your nighttime routine.
- While my last feature is not necessarily a beauty product, it is very important, nonetheless. It is crucial to stay hydrated and drink lots of water throughout the day. It’s easy to get busy and forget…I know I have. However, pack a few bottles of water each day, and continue to fill them up when they become empty. This will ensure that you stay replenished and maintain your optimal health inside and out.
So there you have it! My top 10 favorite wintertime beauty products. What are your favorite wintertime products? What products help you to maintain your healthy skin and effortless glow? I want to hear some of your favorites, so feel free to comment below. I have included the links to the products featured in this post, so feel free to click below and purchase some of the ones that you would like to add to your beauty routine.
Have a wonderful weekend beauties!